Friday 28 November 2014

#174: Host Thanksgiving

Last Thanksgiving I was a sniffling crying wreck that could barely get myself dressed to go to work let alone host a festive and fun Thanksgiving. At the start of the year the idea of having to organise and cook for so many people was like staring at the top of Mount Everest from base camp knowing I had to hike it with no training. I could barely feed myself, so the idea of feeding so many people and enjoying it seemed out of the question...but something to aim for.
Like many Americans, Thanksgiving is the holiday I enjoy most. Many British people ask me about Thanksgiving, it's history, what and why we celebrate it. I say it's similar to a kind of Harvest festival and explain the history: how it started with the Pilgrims from the Mayflower making it through the first year and celebrating a bountiful harvest by inviting their Indian neighbors over for a feast and giving thanks.
For me Thanksgiving has the best bits of Christmas without the commerciality. Having friends and family around for a good meal to celebrate what we're thankful for is what the Christmas spirit is about, but with presents added in. But Thanksgiving is simple. It is literally a day off to give thanks. And eat.
Admittedly the last year has been a tough one for me, but I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment