Monday 3 February 2014

#207: 60 days no caffeine

In the deepest darkest time of the year, why would I do this to myself? This is something I've been asking myself almost every morning as I wake up and get going. But the fact of the matter is that I'm finding it much easier to wake up in the morning and also feeling much better throughout the day. I am not having the high to low energy swings I usually experience and I'm much calmer and less stressed. Though it feels like my brain has slowed down a bit, my mind feels different, clearer and more naturally alert.

 I do miss the social aspects of having coffee: My morning coffee ritual at work; grabbing a cup of coffee with a colleague instead of a more formal meeting in the office; having a diet coke, or Jack Daniels/Rum and Diet coke.

I've had some important meetings recently and I have been very tempted to have a small cup of coffee to give me just the right jolt/pick me up...but I've refrained and somehow made it through without.

I have to say I do like how I feel now and doing some research on caffeine, and coffee in particular, I'm going to try to continue as long as I can, and only have caffeine once in a while. It is a drug after all and I've realised that I'm better off without having so much of it.

Photo Credit: Sergey_Bogomyako / Shutterstock

1 comment: