Thursday 25 September 2014

#153: Host a dinner party

Photo Credit: 9lives / Shutterstock

One of the things I enjoyed about my previous life was the fact that we had a very sociable house. We had people around for drinks and/or dinner at least 3 times a week, which kept life lively. I myself am really rather shy, especially about inviting people over. But it was something my Ex did with welcoming ease, and I loved the result while wishing I could be as inviting myself.

Not having people over was one of the things I immediately missed in my new life. The absence of friends around the table made my new life seem that much more empty after my split. As I've mentioned in previous posts, splits are hard on mutual friendships; people don't want to come around and face an empty chair instead of their (other) friend.  They had their own post-relationship adjustments to make (or maybe, they just liked my ex better).

I put 'Host a dinner party' on my list because I do love having people around, especially for dinner. I knew I had to force myself to be more sociable, even though it doesn't come very easy to me. It took me a while, but 9 months on, I had 5 new friends around for dinner and a fun time was had by all, most of all by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment